Help! My Child Support is Too High!

What is Child Support?

Child support is paid by one parent to the other parent based on the incomes of each parent and the amount of time sharing exercised by each parent. It is paid to allow the child the same or a similar standard of living as when the parents were together. In Florida, child support is determined by using a table of income levels. Support is calculated using the income of both parents and taking into consideration taxes, health insurance, and any daycare costs. The purpose of child support is to benefit the children. While it may sometimes benefit a former spouse, it is not its intended purpose.

Why You May Want a Child Support Modification

Sometimes we settle in court or with a mediator to pay a certain amount of child support. If your life’s circumstances change, such as losing a job, a serious injury or having your child a bigger percentage of the time, the payment agreed upon may no longer be feasible and it may be the time to request a modification. Paul J. Burkhart can help you get your child payment support lowered!

How to Request a Child Support Modification

  • Gather important documents and evidence. Pay stubs showing a lower income, medical records if you are injured or ill, evidence of a change in family (having the child a greater percentage of the time)
  • Speak with a divorce attorney. Paul J. Burkhart can guide you through the process of requesting a modification.
  • File a petition with the court that issued your initial child support order to seek a child support modification.
  • Provide the other parent with notice that you intend to seek a modification to lower child support payments.
  • Show evidence of payment for a private school or medical insurance that is not paid with the child support funds. Paying extras can help get your child support payment lowered.
  • Identify a change in life and financial circumstances.

Family Law Attorney Palm Beach Gardens

Palm Beach Gardens divorce attorneys of the Law Offices of Paul J. Burkhart, PL support you as you go through the process of seeking a child support modification.

Our team assists both individual and business clients with all their legal needs. This includes Business and Corporate Transactions, Business/Commercial and Civil Litigation, Real Estate, Intellectual Property, Family Law, and Estate Planning matters. We are a full-service private law firm ready to assist you with any request, large or small. Call 561-880-0155 or visit our website.


Law Offices of Paul J Burkhart, PL
Business litigation and business contracts

800 Village Square Crossing
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410

Phone: (561) 880-0155


© Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved.